by Mary Jagim RN, MSN, CEN, FAEN | CNO at Infinite Leap
Schedules drive clinical practices. Understanding how day to day performance matches up with schedules is key to optimizing day to day operations. While EHRs provide some details regarding patient visit metrics, the data can be incomplete or skewed by documentation delays. Using Real-Time Location Solutions (RTLS) to capture every patient timestamp allows the data to be recorded automatically and is not impacted by documentation delays or omissions.
- How long do patients wait to register?
- Do we have the right number of registration staff scheduled at each hour of the day?
- How long do patients spend waiting for care? Is there a difference by provider?
- How do I know when a patient has waited more than 5, 10, or 15 minutes?
- How long does it take a medical assistant or nurse to room a patient? Is the time consistent across all staff?
- Are patients seen at the scheduled appointment time? If no, why not?
- How much time does a patient spend in a room alone waiting?
- How long are providers spending with a patient in a room?
- How does the time a provider spends with a patient align with the scheduled appointment block time? By appointment type?
- Are providers using all of the time in rooms reserved for them?
- How many visits per day per room are there?
- Where are the opportunities to add more visits or cases?
- How long does it take staff to clean a room and prepare it for the next visit?
- What rooms are available right now?
- If a patient is found to be infectious, what staff and patients were potentially exposed?
- How could we direct patients straight to an exam room after check-in and avoid waiting in the waiting room?
RTLS-enabled patient flow can answer all these questions objectively and reliably in real time so your practice can provide patients with the best possible experience. In addition, you can retrospectively review and analyze the data to identify opportunities to improve processes and optimize capacity.
So, if you are looking for an easier way to automate the timestamp of patient care milestones and capture key practice performance metrics – you need to start using an RTLS-Enabled Patient Flow Solution.